Genauer Titel der Studie
Parallel Screening behavior TV/digital
Jahr der Veröffentlichung bzw. des Studien-Starts
Kontaktperson für Rückfragen
E-Mail-Adresse der Kontaktperson
Urheber / Vermarkter
Facebook, mec, annalect
1. Zielsetzung der Studie (inkl. Forschungsfragen)
- To what extent do people use their digital devices during commercial breaks and what is the development since 2014?
- How do viewrates differ on the different devices, how much attention do different devices get from consumers while they are on and how does that differ between content and ads?
2. Untersuchte / gemessene KPIs (bitte mit kurzer Erläuterung)
- How many users use their digital device for how long and how often during commercial breaks and during regular programs?
- What are typical attention spans (eyeball fixation durations) on TV vs. Smartphones, what is the difference between advertising and non-advertising content? What are the attention spans for Facebook and Facebook ads in particular?
3. In der Studie untersuchte Medien (intramedial / intermedial)
Digital/mobile devices in general and Facebook in particular
4. Studien-Konzept (Beschreibung in wenigen Sätzen)
The study consists of a quantitative part conducted with MEC in the GfK GXL panel and a qualitative Eyetracking part conducted by annalect via Trendresearch.
In the quantitative part of the study MEC have analyzed the digital device usage on mobile and desktop devices during TV commercial breaks in the GfK Crossmedia Link Panel. The analysis was done on the on the multidevice tracking core of GfK’s German GXL panel, so users for whom all devices (TV, mobile and desktop) are measured.
They analyzed how many users were using digital devices in commercial breaks for how often and for how long.
In the qualitative part, 55 people were equipped with Eyetracking glasses and asked to wear these glasses for 90 minutes during their prime media usage time at home. The goal was to observe their natural media usage via eye-tracking over a span of one and a half hours at home to get a realistic impression of their media usage in a familiar environment. It was measured which devices were fixated for how long in different situations, e.g. when the TV was on, how long were users fixating the TV and how long were they looking at other devices during that time. How long did users fixate each device continuously and how does this differ between ads and content?
6. Institut(e) / Subinstitute
MEC - GfK
Annalect - Trendresearch
7. Eingesetzte Methoden ( Multi-Methoden-Ansatz oder Single-Ansatz)
8. Art der Veröffentlichung (Broschüre, Tabellen-Band, zählbarer Datensatz)
Quantitative study: TV viewers aged 20 years and older using a digital device at least once per week during 3 out of 4 weeks in a month
Eyetracking: 14-49y olds with a rather high media usage. Facebook usage on a daily basis. Additional criteria were Facebook usage on Smartphone and watching TV for at least 4 days per week and at least 3 days a week for a minimum of one and a half hours.
10. Erhebungsmethode (inkl. Technische Messung)
Technical device measurement in a single source panel (GXL)
Eyetracking in an ad hoc recruited qualitative sample
11. Feldzeiten / Untersuchungszeitraum
Quantitative part: Mar, May, Jul, Nov 2014, 2015 and Mar, May, July 2016
Eyetracking: June 23rd to July 26th 2016.
12. Fallzahlen (ungewichtet) / Wellen
Mar 2014: N=432
May 2014: N=674
Jul 2014: N=817
Mar 2015: N=502
May 2015: N=482
July 2015: N=1144
Mar 2016: N=1188
May 2016: N=1249
July 2016: N=1194
13. Stichproben-Auswahl (z.B. Quote, Random, Einsatz von Access-Panels)
Subsample of GfK’s Crossmedia Link Panel (GXL):
- Measured on mobile, desktop and TV
- TV viewers aged 20 years and older using a digital device at least once per week during 3 out of 4 weeks in a month
In general the GXL is recruited from existing GfK Consumer panel households via quota.
Participants were recruited from the TREND RESEARCH Online-Access-Pool.
Target group adults 14-49, quotas on age:
14. Ggf. Rekrutierung / Incentivierung der Probanden / Interview-Dauer
The study is based on a subsample of the continuous GfK GXL measurement, so no additional recruitment/incentivation for this study took place.
In general, households that report within the GfK Consumer panel participate in a bonus program, where they collect points based on their reporting behavior.
The households can redeem the points for various premiums, such as a coffee machine etc. Households that additionally report their media usage behavior within the GXL benefit from additional points.
Eyetracking: 90 Minutes Eyetracking session, Incentive 50€
15. Verwendete Datenquellen (z.B. Werbeaufwendungen von Nielsen Media Research)
16. Messung / Berechnung der Kontakte bzw. Kontaktwahrscheinlichkeiten
17. Eingesetzte Analysetechniken
Descriptive statistical analyses
18. Gewichtung (vor oder nach Analyse, Quelle der Gewichtungsvorgaben)
- Quantitative study: Weighted to online (20+) representative quotas according to ma Radio
- Eyetracking: No
19. Ggf. eingesetzte Fusionstechniken
20. Verwendung von Benchmarks (bitte Erläuterung dazu, z. B. inter- oder intramedial, nach Branchen, nach Werbeformen etc.; Quelle von externen Benchmarks, Art der Berechnung)